Obituaries

Frank Brindle

1940 - 2013

Frank Brindle was born in Wigan in 1940. He left school at the age of 16 and joined the Railway Company as an apprentice welder. He later attended night school obtaining a HNC with endorsements, in Mechanical Engineering.

Frank spent his career in the Drawing Offices of several local firms including Leyland Motors. His last post prior to retirement was in the Nuclear Industry working firstly at Sellafield in Cumbria followed by a period at Dounray in the north of Scotland.

Frank learnt to ring on the six at Eccleston near Chorley in 1977. At that time there was no local band and no regular ringing. Frank approached a former ringer in the village who agreed, that if Frank could get a team together he would teach them to handle a bell. Frank recruited new ringers, mainly from the church congregation and so a new band was formed with Frank soon becoming Tower Captain.

For a few years the new band under Frank’s leadership struggled on ringing Call Changes and Bob Doubles by numbers. Later outside help from other towers on practice nights was offered and accepted and change ringing was introduced. More ringers were recruited and taught and soon the local band was ringing Grandsire and Plain Bob Doubles for Sunday Service. Frank was in the forefront of this progress. He later rang an inside bell to a peal of Plain Bob Minor, accompanied by three other inside ringers, all ringing their first peal. In all Frank rang five peals, all at Eccleston.

For many years he was steeple keeper. He looked after the bells, wound the clock prior to its modification to electric winding and did many other jobs around the church. He was a member of the PCC and the Church Treasurer, a job to which he devoted many hours, for 10 years.

Frank joined the LACR in 1987 and was a strong supporter of the Preston branch attending its meetings and other functions. During his working time at Sellafield he made contact and rang with the local ringers in several towers. Sadly a major heart operation some two years ago ended his ringing days, but he continued to join the local ringers in the Farmer’s Arms after the weekly practice.

At his well attended funeral the bells, half-muffled, were rung until the coffin reached the Chancel. On the evening of the funeral a local band rang a quarter of Grandsire Doubles to his memory.

To his widow Maureen and daughters Fay and Ruth we offer our sincere condolences.

May he rest in peace.

COLIN TESTER

 

BB BellBoard
CC
Central Council of Church Bell Ringers